About Me

My photo
I have completely overcome eating disorders which emerged during my young womanhood, and I have also overcome addiction to cigarettes and marijuana. I am not interested in 12-step approaches to treatment for addictions. However, I do support Moderation Management as a beneficial therapeutic community, and I have found members of that group to be loving, supportive, patient, and kind. Feel free to email me at eviebie@gmail.com

Monday, April 18, 2011

Success! My first handstand without assistance!!

Yesterday's yoga sessions were unbelievably healing and nurturing! My instructor continually reminded us that we are going through a time when we are leaving some things behind, perhaps leaving behind things that don't support us, and turning toward new things that support and sustain us. Many of the poses were those that require focus and balance, and she reminded us to use our base and our core to find stability. I was unable to do the moon variation "Ardha Chandra Chapasana." I faced this difficulty with acceptance. I said "not today." I don't need to demand that my body do everything that it can or used to be able to do every single day. I understand that my practice involves recognizing the limitations of my body and brain each time I come to my mat. After a bad night of drinking and a day filled with self-loathing and angst, I found that I did not have the balance and stability necessary for this pose. But as the session continued I was faced with working on my ability to get into a handstand. I have never been able to go upside down in this pose without assistance. I realized yesterday that as I push off using my right foot, I begin to go upside down and here is where I meet my fear: "I am not strong enough to support my whole body on my hands." I realized I AM strong enough! I can do it. I've done handstands with assistance, so I can reach that pose on my own. The next push-off, up I went, feet in the air (of course, against the wall!) and I'm all smiles! I called to my teacher, "Elizabeth! I went up all by myself!" The class all laughed and people congratulated me. I couldn't stop smiling. How wonderful it was to know I am strong, that I can overcome obstacles, that I can do things that help me feel good about who I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment