About Me

My photo
I have completely overcome eating disorders which emerged during my young womanhood, and I have also overcome addiction to cigarettes and marijuana. I am not interested in 12-step approaches to treatment for addictions. However, I do support Moderation Management as a beneficial therapeutic community, and I have found members of that group to be loving, supportive, patient, and kind. Feel free to email me at eviebie@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Today's practice: the beautiful pink lotus


Today's practice centered on the lotus flower and lotus poses. So many wonderful twists and binds!  It's been raining for several days straight, and we're all feeling wet, cold, and grimy, and yes...a little depressed. At one point our teacher told us that the lotus is a beautiful pink flower that grows in a muddy river. It's worth paying attention to the fact that something so beautiful which represents peace and balance is derived from dirt. It's also the only plant to fruit and flower at the same time. I couldn't help but take on this image for myself. My heart, my soul, my being is tremendously beautiful. All that I am has been cultivated within a world of grief and loss, addiction and depression. Yet, I've emerged a wonderful woman. I may be addicted to a substance, but it doesn't make me wholly flawed. It reminds me I'm wholly human. The entire class today, my intention was to live inside my body. Some days I wish I could just leave myself for awhile, go to sleep and not come back for a few days. I wish I could climb out of my skin. Tonight, I'm happy to be living inside of my skin, thanks to this blissful practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment