About Me

My photo
I have completely overcome eating disorders which emerged during my young womanhood, and I have also overcome addiction to cigarettes and marijuana. I am not interested in 12-step approaches to treatment for addictions. However, I do support Moderation Management as a beneficial therapeutic community, and I have found members of that group to be loving, supportive, patient, and kind. Feel free to email me at eviebie@gmail.com

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cultivating inner rewards

It should be obvious from many of the reflections written here that I've been practicing yoga for a few years now, despite my failure to cut back or quit drinking. I've been in Moderation Management for a couple of years, and it has given me a lot of needed relief from drinking and the guilt and shame accompanying my drinking problem. I've managed to abstain and moderate for long stretches of time, but then I slip back into old habits easily. I believe I need to abstain forever to achieve the recovery I need and so badly want. Until I succeed in sobriety, I will continue to cultivate new ways of thinking and coping. I have benefitted tremendously from my practice, and I feel I've gained more insight and strength from yoga than I ever did with my clinical psychologist. The mindfulness I've developed on my mat has grown to include mindfulness about my body in other areas. I'm taking a different attitude toward my drinking. I haven't been drunk in weeks, and I don't feel ashamed or guilty anymore. This is a problem many people struggle with, and I am working daily on tackling the beast. Many people do great things in their life, even when drinking heavily, including me. All I want is to take care of my mind, my soul, my heart. I am embarking on a 5-day abstinence stretch with 5 days of yoga, and 5 days of organic healthy eating. I'm looking forward to spending most of my time over these 5 days healing and nourishing my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment